Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Meeting authors

Here's another reading question from Booking through Thursday...

  • Have you ever stumbled on a reading and found the author so charming you started reading their books? Or, have you ever met a formerly favorite author and stopped reading their works because of how they treated their fans? My mother is a big fan of Mary Higgins Clark, so when she had a book signing last year in a local bookstore Leah and I stood in line with my mom. First let me say that I am not really a fan, having read two of her books and finding them very predictable. Having said that, she was a most gracious woman, taking time to speak to each person on line and allowing pictures. I was extremely impressed. She was definitely charming, though I didn't run out to buy her newest book. I guess I need more than a smiling face in order for me to jump into a book.


    Mom & Mary Higgins Clark

3 comments:

Katie J said...

Your question makes me think of two authors I've met. One is Sark (http://www.planetsark.com/), who I adored and she was very sweet. She's a bit on the New Age-y side and I enjoy that sometimes.

I met Neal Stephenson when I went to get his autograph to surprise my hubby. He came off as very smart and nice considering the fact that I think he may be a bit of an introvert so book signings weren't his thing. I've been meaning to read one of his books for a while now. And even though I couldn't find a decent picture on the web, I thought he was kinda attractive.

Polar Bear said...

I met Susan Conant one time. She writes mystery novels with a dog theme. (Two of my favorite subjects.) It was really nice, but it sort of ruined the novels for me.

I always pictured her as the main character, and when she didn't fit my character I couldn't get into the book again. :(

JerseyGirl said...

I have yet to meet any authors in person, but I'm hoping to change that this year when I attend the National Book Festival in D.C. I'm also hoping to make the trip an annual pilgrimage for our family.