Wednesday, August 23, 2006

bookcrossing.com

I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and I can't wait until September 1st for us to discuss. That means that you have a little over a week to finish up, if you haven't already done so.

Also, keep in mind the next book you want to recommend, since I will be requesting your book suggestions sometime next week.

In the meantime check out bookcrossing.com. My neighbor Sheila recently vacationed at the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and California. While looking around a hotel lobby she picked up a book (Travels with Charley in Search of America) sitting on a coffee table. There was a tag inside telling her that it was a traveling book and had been logged into bookcrossing.com. When she visited the website and typed in the book ID # she found out that the book originated in South Africa. It had been read by a man who was planning a vacation to the US. He left it at the hotel hoping that another book lover would find it. Sheila is now half way through the book and plans on releasing it back "into the wild" soon.

I just love this idea. Imagine being able to share a favorite book with a total stranger and then tracking it on the internet. My parents vacation in Hawaii often, so maybe on their next trip my Mom should leave one of her favorite novels in the lobby. Or when I go to China next year, I could leave Snow Flower and the Secret Fan somewhere at the White Swan.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

BookCrossing is great - and very addictive! I recently registered my 500th book there, and in the words of a fellow local BCer, have been 'littering the city' with books for the past few months.

wzgirl said...

What an incredibly cool concept. A reading version of the "red thread". I am so going to look this up. I have some books I'd like to sell, but haven't been able to - this is a fun way to share.

I'm just now getting pulled into the Snowflower (I've been busy & wrapped up in yarn projects) - amazing book. I will work hard to be finished in time. And, Viv, I'm with you on the Anne Tyler book......

Andie D. said...

I am just chowing through Snow Flower. It is one of those that will be easy to finish. So glad I joined, and can't wait to pass it on to friends.

Speaking of passing it on, how cool is the Book Crossing concept? I'm off to check it out...

Christina said...

I told mom about this site years ago and Vanessa had found a book crossing book at the Humane Society awhile back. It was Chicken Soup for the pet lovers soul. I have done it a few times. I love to release books.