Thursday, August 17, 2006

Footbinding

Having just started Snow Flower and the Secret Fan last night, I was right away intrigued by the chapter on footbinding. I found it incredible that this was a practice widely used by the more wealthy families in order to make their daughter's more desirable. What incredible pain they must have had to endure in order to satisfy their future husbands.

For more about Chinese footbinding, you can check out Aching for Beauty: Footbinding in China.

There is a little over two weeks left until we start posting discussion questions. I was thinking about starting them on September 1st instead of the 4th, since it seems like the majority of you are almost done or have finished the book. I will be finished with it pretty quickly, since I have found that it is one of those books that you just can't put down. Please let me know if this is ok with you.

10 comments:

Project Ni Hao said...

September 1 is fine with me. I'm starting the book this weekend and should be able to finish it up during the week.

- Melissa
http://melissasstories.typepad.com/nihao

boogiemum said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
boogiemum said...

Sounds good to me. It took me 2 days to get through the book because I couldn't put it down either. Being usually very active, my boys kept asking me what was wrong and why I was just sitting there reading....

www.boogiemum.com

Lesley said...

That would be fine with me, although I'll be in Atlanta visiting family that weekend so probably won't post myself until the 4th anyway. :-)

For another great fictional read about foot binding, try 'The Binding Chair' by Kathryn Harrison.

TBG Happenings said...

ok with me.

Maryellen

JerseyGirl said...

Sounds good to me as well. The chapter that detailed the foot binding was a compeling read. It is hard to believe that this practice really only came to a stop about a century ago.

Christina said...

I think this book is incredible. I am loving every minute of it. Sept 1 sounds good to me.

Christina said...

PS I was intrigued by foot binding. I wonder if the pain actually served these women well in years to come. It seems like life wasn't so easy and the physical pain teaches them that they can perservere and come through anything. We all know emotional pain is worse that physical so I wonder if beauty was only a small part of this practice and the women probably knew that.

Katie J said...

I just got the book, so I'm a little behind y'all, but I'll dig into it and try to finish by that time. It is a great book so far!

Puddin' said...

That's fine with me too! I'll have to mark my calendar so I won't forget! I couldn't put the book down either!!